Sunday, January 29, 2006

Eight hours and counting...

Of course I am saving all my packing for the last minute. Why would you even ask? It seems there have been a lot of loose ends to tie up; nonetheless, I am sitting on the launch pad in my space suit. We're go for ignition. Sort of.

This will probably be my last e-mail until I reach my layover tomorrow morning. Gino, my satellite boy, told me my satellite modem does not work in the western hemisphere, so I'll have to wait until my layover in Amsterdam to test her out. Hopefully everything will be flawless. If not, then I wont have another blog post until I work out the bugs.

Just a note for those who are paying attention throughout these next few weeks. My first post from last night was submitted from my computer at 11:47 p.m. But the post states that it was posted at 9:42 p.m. The auto-time feature is incorrect, so I will try to remember to include the time of my post in the text itself - just in case the glitch continues.

I'll not be reachable during my trip. If you send an e-mail to my usual accounts, it will sit there, lonely and unanswered, until I return in late February.

Departing is always one of the best parts of a trip. I part with one of my favorite scenes from It's a Wonderful life. George Bailey once again believes he is finally going to get out and see the world...

GEORGE BAILEY: Thar she blows. You know what the three most exciting sounds in the world are?
UNCLE BILLY: Uh-huh. Breakfast is served; lunch is served; dinner . . .
GEORGE: No, no, no, no! Anchor chains, plane motors, and train whistles.


Anchors away! Hasta la vista, mis amigos.

Posted at 1:23 p.m., Central Standard Time, Saint Paul, Minnesota

1 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

John,

Good luck on your trip. I am envious, and almost certain that someone must have told you that you are crazy. What do they know. Life's too short to talk ourselves out of big expeditions.

As for the time issue with your post, you should be able to change the settings of the blog, and there's a place where you choose the timezone for your posts ... it's default is Pacific Time, which makes sense given the times you listed. Just change it to central time, or more appropriately, Syrian/Iraqi time.

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home