If you received this on e-mail, it means I do indeed have your address
Dear Friend:
As of midnight on January 29 I will be off American soil and on to my adventure. For the next several weeks, I hope to live amongst Syrians and Iraqis, learning their customs and absorbing the local flavor. While it is true that most folks would choose more stable settings for their vacation, I believe the Iraq war is the seminal conflict for our age. What happens there today will affect many generations of Americans and Iraqis, and I seek to learn as much as possible in a short amount of time.
I will be backpacking it. A few changes of clothes, my notebook computer, satellite modem, digital camera, bottle of Dalwhinnie (thanks Mogen) and my copy of Yeats (thanks H). That’s it. We’re going Spartan, here. I’ll rely on the hospitality (or lack thereof, as it may happen) of my local hosts for almost everything. I hope to eat what they eat, sleep where they sleep, hang where they hang.
I sent you this e-mail because I thought you may want to check out my blog while I am over there. I tell you this with the good-faith hope that you will not share this information with anyone else – that you keep it for your own use. As those in the know will tell you, blogging from a war zone is inadvisable for many reasons, not the least of which is criminal gangs or insurgents being able to track a potential target. Furthermore, this trip is done for my own educational experience. It’s not a publicity stunt. For all these reasons, I hope you will respect my wishes and not leak information on the blog to people I don’t know.
The address is http://johnlesch.blogspot.com/.
John Lesch
As of midnight on January 29 I will be off American soil and on to my adventure. For the next several weeks, I hope to live amongst Syrians and Iraqis, learning their customs and absorbing the local flavor. While it is true that most folks would choose more stable settings for their vacation, I believe the Iraq war is the seminal conflict for our age. What happens there today will affect many generations of Americans and Iraqis, and I seek to learn as much as possible in a short amount of time.
I will be backpacking it. A few changes of clothes, my notebook computer, satellite modem, digital camera, bottle of Dalwhinnie (thanks Mogen) and my copy of Yeats (thanks H). That’s it. We’re going Spartan, here. I’ll rely on the hospitality (or lack thereof, as it may happen) of my local hosts for almost everything. I hope to eat what they eat, sleep where they sleep, hang where they hang.
I sent you this e-mail because I thought you may want to check out my blog while I am over there. I tell you this with the good-faith hope that you will not share this information with anyone else – that you keep it for your own use. As those in the know will tell you, blogging from a war zone is inadvisable for many reasons, not the least of which is criminal gangs or insurgents being able to track a potential target. Furthermore, this trip is done for my own educational experience. It’s not a publicity stunt. For all these reasons, I hope you will respect my wishes and not leak information on the blog to people I don’t know.
The address is http://johnlesch.blogspot.com/.
John Lesch

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home